Make a Complaint.

To make a complaint about a Minister or an MLA, it must be in writing. The best and easiest way to submit a complaint is by completing the online complaints form here.

What can I investigate?

For complaints against Ministers:

I can only consider complaints that a Minister has breached one or more of the rules or principles as set out in Schedule 4, Paragraphs 1.5 and 1.6 of the Ministerial Code of Conduct

For complaints against MLAs:

I can only consider complaints that an MLA has breached one or more of the rules as set out in Paragraph 4 of the MLA Code of Conduct.

What happens when I receive your complaint?

I will acknowledge receipt of your complaint at the earliest possible opportunity. I will also send a copy of your complaint, together with any supporting documentation you have provided, to the Minister or MLA and to the Clerk to the Committee on Standards and Privileges.

In order for me to consider your complaint,  it must:

  • be made in writing;
  • state the name of the complainant;
  • state the postal address of the complainant except where the complainant is a current Member;
  • name the person who is the subject of the complaint;
  • state the acts or omissions of the person complained of which are alleged to have breached the Members Code of Conduct or the Ministerial Code of Conduct or both;
  • state the provision or provisions of the applicable code or codes which each act or omission is alleged to have breached;
  • in relation to each act or omission complained of, be substantiated by being supported by sufficient evidence to satisfy the Commissioner that there is a prima facie case that a breach of the applicable code or codes has occurred and that the complaint is not frivolous or vexatious or otherwise an abuse of the complaints process;
  • relate to alleged conduct which falls within the scope of the applicable code or codes; and,
  • be made within six months from the date when a complaint about the alleged conduct could reasonably have been made.

What is the best way to submit your complaint?

The best way to submit you complaint is to use the online complaints form here.

If for whatever reason you cannot complete the online complaints form, there is a downloadable form that you can complete and send via email to or by post to NI Assembly Commissioner for Standards, Room 222, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3XX.

Further Information

You can find further information and guidance here. If you need contact my office, you can write to me at Room 222, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3XX or by email at